Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland

SC4114 Dean Castles, Berwickshire (West Mains, Dean)

Satellite Imagery

Satellite Imagery

HER:  Scottish Borders 59955 (None)

NMR:  NT 87 SW 2 (59955)

SM:  None

NGR:  NT 8077 7053

X:  380770  Y:  670530  (OSGB36)

Summary

The southern end of an elongated hillock formed between two deep gullies in the hillside below Old Cambus West Mains was adapted to build a promontory fort, but the greater part of the interior had been destroyed by quarrying before 1954, at which time a shallow depression was still visible where the defences cut across the neck on the NE, but even this had been removed by 1979 and today the site is occupied by a large industrial works and its yard. The interior and probably the defences had already been ploughed when James Hardy first notes the presence of two ramparts and ditches cutting across the neck (1886, 160-1), and though James Hewat Craw describes the fort in like terms, his plan drawn up in 1909 depicts only a broad hollow, which according to his profile measurements measured some 22m in breadth (RCAHMS 1915, 31-2, no.60, fig 26). Nevertheless, the interior, which terminated in a craggy point falling away 30m to either side, measured at least 155m in length from NE to SW by up to 52m in breadth (0.63ha). Hardy records evidence of midden ploughed up within the interior, and also sandstone slabs which had been heavily heated and had either vitrifaction or slag adhering to them (1886, 161).

Status

Citizen Science:  

Reliability of Data:  Confirmed

Reliability of Interpretation:  Confirmed

Location

X:  -257072  Y:  7543996  (EPSG: 3857)

Longitude:  -2.3093192824372117  Latitude:  55.92749720506402  (EPSG:4326)

Country:  Scotland

Current County or Unitary Authority:  Scottish Borders

Historic County:  Berwickshire

Current Parish/Community/Council/Townland:  Cockburnspath

Monument Condition

Quarried away

Condition:
Extant  
Cropmark  
Likely Destroyed  

Land Use

Old quarry and now an industrial yard with sheds

Current Use:
Woodland  
Commercial Forestry Plantation  
Parkland  
Pasture (Grazing)  
Arable  
Scrub/Bracken  
Bare Outcrop  
Heather/Moorland  
Heath  
Built-up  
Coastal Grassland  
Other  

Landscape

Hillfort Type

None

Type:
Contour Fort  
Partial Contour Fort  
Promontory Fort  
Hillslope Fort  
Level Terrain Fort  
Marsh Fort  
Multiple Enclosure Fort  

Topographic Position

Position:
Hilltop  
Coastal Promontory  
Inland Promontory  
Valley Bottom  
Knoll/Hillock/Outcrop  
Ridge  
Cliff/Plateau-edge/Scarp  
Hillslope  
Lowland  
Spur  

Dominant Topographic Feature:  None

Aspect:
North  
Northeast  
East  
Southeast  
South  
Southwest  
West  
Northwest  
Level  

Altitude:  80.0m

Boundary

N/A


Dating Evidence

In the absence of excavation, there are neither stratified artefacts nor radiocarbon dates to provide a chronology for the defences.

Reliability:  D - None

Principal Activity:
Pre 1200BC  
1200BC - 800BC  
800BC - 400BC  
400BC - AD50  
AD50 - AD400  
AD400 - AD 800  
Post AD800  
Unknown  

Other Activity:
Pre Hillfort:   None
Post Hillfort:   Ploughed down and subsequently quarried to destruction

Evidence:No related records

Investigation History

None

Investigations:
1st Identified Written Reference (1885):   Description by James Hardy (1856, 161-2)
1st Identified Map Depiction (1899):   Annotated 'Fort (Site of)' on the 2nd edition OS 25-inch map (Berwickshire 1899, sheet 1.16)
Other (1908):   Noted as a site (RCAHMS 1909, 13, no.65)
Earthwork Survey (1909):   Plan by James Hewat Craw and description (RCAHMS 1915, 31-2, no.60, fig 26; RCAHMS BWD 15/1/ BWD 15/1/1 & DP225498)
Other (1954):   Visited by the OS, by which time the greater part had been destroyed by quarrying
Other (1965):   Visited by the OS
Other (1979):   Visited by RCAHMS

Interior Features

Nothing remained visible when planned by James Hewat Craw in 1909, though James Hardy noted the presence of midden containing limpets, periwinkles, split long bones, an antler tip and a human tooth, and also claimed there had been a spring within the interior (1886, 161)

Water Source

None

Source:
None  
Spring  
Stream  
Pool  
Flush  
Well  
Other  

Surface

Destroyed

Interior Features (Surface):
No Known Features  
Round Stone Structures  
Rectangular Stone Structures  
Curvilinear Platforms  
Other Roundhouse Evidence  
Pits  
Quarry Hollows  
Other  

Excavation

None

Interior Features (Excavation):
No Known Excavation  
Pits  
Postholes  
Roundhouses  
Rectangular Structures  
Roads/Tracks  
Quarry Hollows  
Other  
Nothing Found  

Geophysics

None

Interior Features (Geophysics):
No Known Geophysics  
Pits  
Roundhouses  
Rectangular Structures  
Roads/Tracks  
Quarry Hollows  
Other  
Nothing Found  

Finds

James Hardy noted the presence of midden containing limpets, periwinkles, split long bones, an antler tip and a human tooth (1886, 161). He also referred to the ploughing up of 'hearth stones....of sandstone; and the great heat.....had converted some of them into slaggy concretions like pumice stone; or if iron was present in the soil, an iron-clinker was the product.' (1885, 161). It is unclear whether this was slag or vitrifaction

Interior (Finds):
No Known Finds  
Pottery  
Metal  
Metalworking  
Human Bones  
Animal Bones  
Lithics  
Environmental  
Other  

Aerial

Destroyed

Interior Features (Aerial):
APs Not Checked  
None  
Roundhouses  
Rectangular Structures  
Pits  
Postholes  
Roads/Tracks  
Other  

Entrances

None known

Total Number of Breaks Through Ramparts:  
0:   Totally destroyed

Number of Possible Original Entrances:  
2:   None known

Guard Chambers:  

Chevaux de Frise:  

Entrances:No related records

Enclosing Works

Two ramparts with ditches cutting off a promontory

Enclosed Area:
Area 1:   0.63ha.
Total:   0.63ha.

Total Footprint Area:  Noneha.

Ramparts

None

Multi-period Enclosure System:
✗   None

Ramparts Form a Continuous Circuit:
✗   None

Number of Ramparts:  
NE Quadrant:   2
SE Quadrant:   0
SW Quadrant:   0
NW Quadrant:   0
Total:   2

Morphology

Current Morphology:
Partial Univallate  
Univallate  
Partial Bivallate  
Bivallate  
Partial Multivallate  
Multivallate  
Unknown  

Detailed Morphology:
Partial Univallate  
Univallate  
Partial Bivallate  
Bivallate  
Partial Multivallate  
Multivallate  

Surface Evidence

Claims of vitrified stone ploughed up in the 19th century, but the whole site is now destroyed

Enclosing Works (Surface):
None  
Earthen Bank  
Stone Wall  
Rubble  
Wall-walk  
Evidence of Timber  
Vitrification  
Other Burning  
Palisade  
Counter Scarp Bank  
Berm  
Unfinished  
Other  

Excavated Evidence

None

Enclosing Works (Excavation):
None  
Earthen Bank  
Stone Wall  
Murus Duplex  
Timber-framed  
Timber-laced  
Vitrification  
Other Burning  
Palisade  
Counter Scarp Bank  
Berm  
Unfinished  
No Known Excavation  
Other  

Other

Gang Working:
✗   None

Ditches:
✓   None

Number of Ditches:  2

Annex:
✗   None

References

Hardy, J (1887) 'On some British remains near Oldcambus'. Hist Berwickshire Natur Club 11 (1885-6), 159-61

RCAHMS (1909) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. First report and Inventory of Monuments and Constructions in the County of Berwick. HMSO: Edinburgh.

RCAHMS (1915) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Sixth report and Inventory of Monuments and Constructions in the County of Berwick (Revised Issue). HMSO: Edinburgh



Terms of Use

This work is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0 and should be cited as:

Lock, Gary and Ralston, Ian. 2024. Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland. Available at: https://hillforts.arch.ox.ac.uk


Document Version 1.1